Ordinarily you might expect a round-up of news,views and comment/criticism on behalf of the regional and sub-regional mental health service user and carer networks and organisations. However recent tragic news relating to a friend and colleague means that sarcasm,vitriol,indignation at the powers-that-be and the usual irreverence all seem inappropriate. Future mail-outs will clear the back-log of items and possibly resume the impudence but not at the moment.
So here are some events that you might be interested in attending, in semi-chronological order, and please do note that some assistance towards attending (not necessarily monetary, but that is not ruled out either) might be available from the sub-regional (NTWSU&C) or regionwide (NEt or North East together) user and carer networks* :
- First is the North East together meeting on October 4th (picture flyer attached,entitled work event poster copy). Thursday 4th October 12.30-4.00
St.Cuthbert’s Hospice , Park house road, Merryoaks, Durham, DH1 3QF and it’ll have a special focus on mental health, work,benefits and campaigning.All reasonable travel expenses will be paid, and there’ll be a lunch.
- Second up is Newcastle Mental Health Day, October the 6th. A press release of sorts is attached, but the short, tweet-length version would run something like this: "October 6th at Grey’s Monument. Bands, dancers and loads of stalls. Highlighting mental health, and help available in Newcastle.While having some fun."
- Third is the Mental Health Film Season being put on at the Star and Shadow cinema in Newcastle, with both films and talks/discussions afterwards. Pdf attached
- Fourth is the AGM and big conference from NSUN, on October 24th in Manchester. NSUN are friends and allies to the sub-regional and regional networks, and we act as their regional presence. Flyer attached.
- Fifth, and finally for the moment is a flyer for a regional (though their region differs slightly, also taking in Yorkshire etc) event being put on by rethink on the 2nd of November in York. Some rethink members are prominent in our networks and involved in the day.
*NEt comprises the NTWSU&C network and another sub-regional one that covers the 6 local authorities (Durham,Darlington,Hartlepool,Middlesbrough etc) encompassed by the TEWV (Tees, Esk and Wear Valley) mental health trust. So it’s like a stepped or layered model, I guess: individuals alone or in their groups or projects in their locality>>sub-regional network>>regional network
LAUNCHPAD Team Leader,
NTWSU&C n/wk co-chair (with Mish Loraine)
(for network business: ntwsuc)
Offices 210 and 211,
Holy Jesus Hospital,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Tel 0191 2330382 (personal mobile 07736074213)